- 50 inch High Definition Plasma Television
- 17 inch MacBook Pro fully pimped out
- Sony HD Camcorder
- 5.2 mp slim digital camera
- 1 year's paid cable and internet service with High Definition programming thrown in from Comcast
- unlocked iPhone
- wireless broadband card for my macbook from Sprint so i can get internet from anywhere
- a slingbox so I can watch tv on my laptop from anywhere
- $500 dollar gift certificate to Oasis Coffee in Johnson city http://www.oasiscoffeehousejc.com/
- a Job at Google waiting for me after I graduate from ETSU
- a tech-savvy girlfriend that knows sign language and loves football (Cleveland browns fan is a must). think iJustine crossed with Erin Andrews and Marlee Matalin minus the Pittsburgh roots and any connection to Michigan whatsoever. (if you don't know any of these names, just Google em)
I've somewhat done all of the above, but I've also done some reminiscing on the past semester. Fall 2007 was a very difficult time for me. I was overwhelmed with schoolwork while trying to balance a social life and taking care of myself and "my" dog at the same time.
This past semester was my first semester in graduate school. I'm working toward a master's degree in computer science, IT concentration. It was a successful semester for me because I was able to pass all my classes, ensuring that I had just survived the toughest course load of the computer science curriculum. This meant that the next 3 semesters will be less difficult.
Along the way, I had to manage some rocky patches because my classes required a lot of group work. Scheduling interpreters for impromptu group meetings are no easy task. 5 days notice is usually required in order to schedule an interpreter. This was more stressful than most of my class assignments. However it was a lesson learned in how to manage group work and this is critical in gaining experience for future endeavors both educationally and professionally.
Also, my job at the College of Nursing is awesome. I'm having a great time working with the people there and putting my skills to use.
This is an experience that I will talk more about later down the line. There were a lot of other things that I experienced. I've started going to a new church called Highlands Fellowship in Johnson City. It's been a great experience in improving my relationship with Christ. I've gotten sidetracked in the past couple of years from following God but now I'm working on getting myself back on track and it's been awesome to be part of this community these past few months. The best part? It's interpreted so come down every Sunday at 11:00 a.m. if you're deaf or if you're just around then come down and worship the Lord with us. I don't usually preach my faith on anybody and I probably won't do so that much but it's been a great experience for me so I want everyone to feel the way I do about going to church.
This is not my typical blog entry, usually writing about my struggles as a Deaf person, because it's a time to be happy, to feel joy and just try to celebrate the reason for the season. I know it's cliche but there's a reason why i didn't seriously ask for any of the items on the wish list above to my loved ones. It's not the time for asking or getting. it's a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus. I don't call it Xmas, i call it "Christmas."
I don't fully understand everything about Christianity nor do I think i ever will. But, I believe that it's going to be a lifelong journey in trying to practice my faith and trying to figure out our roles in this world. I question my faith occasionally but it's that time of the year where we deserve peace of mind and surround ourselves with love and happiness. I hope that whoever reads this takes my advice and just celebrate what you've got and the reason for the season.
Merry Christmas everyone!